Saturday, May 9, 2009

Haku


#8 - Hayao Miyazaki: Haku

Haku the dragon from Miyazaki's film, "Spirited Away". This one took some time. I started by stamping my image multiple times on plain white paper. Then, with Prismacolor pencils, I colored them all. I used three shades of teal for his mane and two shades of grey on his body. Someday, I'll post a tutorial on pencil coloring and shading. A good way to start practicing, believe it or not, is with crayons in a coloring book.
Next, I fussy cut him out of the paper, using an exacto knofe for the tiny interior holes and fringe-y areas of his mane and tail. This process took many days. I then glued them onto a lovely Asian themed cardstock and added ribbon and a 'jewel'.

I was really pleased with the final product, though all that fussy cutting darn near crippled my fingers.

No comments:

Post a Comment